Urgent Care of the Palm Beaches offers DOT Physicals in West Palm Beach and Palm Beach Gardens. If you are working as a driver of a commercial motor vehicle, then your employer will require you to undergo a DOT Physical. In order to get your DOT Physical, please visit our Walk In Clinic in West Palm Beach or our Walk In Clinic in Palm Beach Gardens or alternatively you can Schedule an Appointment.
DOT Physical West Palm Beach and Palm Beach Gardens – FAQ’s
1. What to expect during your DOT exam?
As you know, the DOT physical is designed to determine if a driver’s health condition is good enough for him /her to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle without being a threat to other road users. The exam cannot be skipped as driving without a valid DOT card on the road is illegal. Please find below most frequently asked questions regarding the DOT physical in West Palm Beach that probably have already crossed your mind.
2. What does a DOT Physical in West Palm Beach include?
- Drivers are required to have at least 20/40 vision acuity in each eye (corrective lenses are accepted) and be able to distinguish colors.
- Hearing has to be good enough to take notice of the so called forced whisper at a distance of at minimum 5 feet (hearing aids are acceptable).
- Blood pressure needs to be lower than 160/100 (high blood pressure medications are accepted).
- Sugar levels in the blood have to be at a maximum of 200, diabetes that requires an insulin injection is not accepted, only diabetes controlled by using oral medication is allowed).
- Additionally, drivers are tested to look for any abnormalities associated with their ears, throat, heart, lungs, chest, abdomen, extremities, and spine. As well as any neurological impairments.
3. Does the DOT physical include a drug test?
Yes, it is necessary for drivers to pass a drug test.
4. What drugs are the drives tested for?
Drivers are tested for drugs, such as: marijuana, opiates, phencyclidine, cocaine and amphetamines.
5. Can I refuse to do the drug test?
Drivers who refuse to take the drug test are treated the same as if the test results were positive.
6. If my drug test is positive, what consequences will I face?
Drivers whose drug test result comes out positive can lose their CDL and additionally be required to meet with a substance abuse professional.
7. What if I don’t pass the test?
Drivers who don’t meet the requirements are denied their DOT medical certificate.
8. What happens when I pass the test?
Drivers who pass the DOT physical exam receive their DOT medical certificate which is valid for two years. Please remember that there are cases when the medical examiner issues the certificate valid only for three or six months and even up to a year.
9. What shall I bring to the DOT physical in West Palm Beach?
- Drivers have to bring with them their driver’s license or any other photo ID.
- List of any medications they currently take (name / dosage).
- Contact lenses or eyeglasses if needed for driving
- Hearing aid if needed for driving
- Drivers with any medical conditions need to bring the appropriate documentation, e.g. most recent hemoglobin A1C value (drivers with diabetes), Sleep Apnea Compliance Report with at least 60 days (drivers with sleep apnea), or a medical letter from their physician (drivers with any neurological conditions need to bring a letter from their neurologist that addresses the condition)